Do y­ou disag­ree with the Public Prosecutor's decision?

Have you appealed to the Public Prosecutor with regard to a traffic fine and do you disagree with the decision? In this case, you can lodge a second appeal.

Do you want to appeal the Public Prosecutor's decision?

Are you the owner of the vehicle? Or are you not the owner, but your name is on the letter? In this case, you can lodge an appeal.
Were you the driver, but is the vehicle not yours? In this case, you can appeal using an authorisation form.

You can appeal by sending a letter to the Subdistrict Court. You must do this within six weeks of the date on our letter.

  • Your letter should include the following information: 
    - your name, address, place of residence, date of birth and place of birth;
    - why you disagree with the decision;
    - your IBAN (this is your bank account number);
    - the date on which you are writing the letter;
    - your signature.
  • Send your letter, along with a copy of the decision, to:
    Parket CVOM
    Afdeling Mulder
    PO Box 8225
    3503 RE UTRECHT
    The Netherlands

Pay the fine first

Before you can appeal to the Subdistrict Court, ‘safeguard payment’ of the fine is required. You do this by paying the fine, including administrative costs. In the case of fines over €225, you are required to pay a minimum of €225, as well as the administrative costs, to the Central Fine Collection Agency (CJIB). If you are under 16 years of age and the fine is over €112.50, you are required to pay a minimum of €112.50, as well as the administrative costs.
If you fail to pay, there is a considerable chance that the Subdistrict Court will not consider your letter. However, you will still need to pay the fine.

What happens next?

The Public Prosecutor will first reconsider the appeal. If the Public Prosecutor still believes the fine to be justified, your appeal will be referred to the Subdistrict Court. The Public Prosecution Service Central Processing Unit (Parket CVOM) will inform you about this in a letter.

If the letter says your appeal is being referred, the Subdistrict Court will invite you to a hearing. At this hearing, you will be asked to provide your reasons for disagreeing with the traffic fine. The Subdistrict Court will usually rule on the matter during the hearing. You will also receive the ruling by post.
If you are unable or unwilling to attend the hearing, the Subdistrict Court will make a decision on the basis of the file. You will receive the ruling by post.


Whether you will be reimbursed depends on the Subdistrict Court’s ruling.|
If the Subdistrict Court disagrees with you, you will not be reimbursed the amount you have paid.
If the Subdistrict Court decides to quash the decision or to reduce the amount of the fine, you will be (partially) reimbursed.
In either case, the Central Fine Collection Agency (CJIB) will notify you separately in writing.